Thursday 20 March 2014

New Shoots

The first day of spring and it has been colder than the last three weeks, cold enough to don my hat again for most of the morning. Despite the chill we have been hard at work potting up the dahlias which are just starting to shoot, we are much later doing it this year as Giles didn't need to take cuttings from them for the nursery, and astonishingly it will only be about nine weeks before we will be planting them out for the summer. They have much growing to do, but I know that once they start there will be no stopping them. Many other plants in the garden are now making an appearance and the new shoots of most of them are wonderful vibrant colours, peonies are one of my favourites with their deep crimson promise. Another stunner is the Viratrum nigrum, with its crinkles of verdant fresh growth, however if you have pets or children around stick to hostas as all parts of this plant are highly toxic. There is an air of expectancy now as we greet new shoots pushing through every day, how a gardener loves the spring!

"I love spring anywhere, but if I could choose I would always greet it in a garden"
Ruth Stout

0 comments:

Post a Comment