Tuesday 18 August 2015

August Blues

You might be surprised to find that August is perhaps my least favourite month. As I enter middle age I find that the heat annoys me, when I was younger I could sit and bask in it with little ill effect, now it just makes me feel sticky and grumpy. I think I even prefer February, at least you know where you stand weather wise and can always retreat indoors to a log burning stove. July is glorious in the garden as all blooms look their best, and September offers new late season flowers and a wistful mellowness, but August is just sultry and bad tempered. Then there are the flies, a constant bug bear to the gardener as they zoom around your sweat slicked brow, forcing you underneath a wide brimmed hat when it is too warm to wear one. Yesterday we went balsam bashing in the woods with the plants and nettles towering above our heads, and what do I get for my pains? An awful lot of mosquito bites and those mostly in the worst places, how do they know to bite you just under the bra straps! So forgive me the lack of inspiration at this time of year as my muse leaves me, all will be well again in a couple of weeks!

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"
Dalai Lama



0 comments:

Post a Comment