Tuesday 15 September 2015

Potatoes, Pumpkins, And Pruning

The leap from summer to autumn has been swift this year, we awoke yesterday to a misty September scene and it is now dark when I get up in the morning. Inevitably this time of year sees us begin the harvest, firstly we dug up the potato crop, a good haul this year with little slug damage and large tubers. For the first time ever no one spiked a good specimen with their fork. Then the pumpkins were wrestled from their tangle of monstrous stems and leaves on the compost heap and placed in the traditional spot on the piggery wall to season. I always enjoy the sight and know I bore you with the same photo every year! Pruning the plums came next with us all balanced precariously atop the long ladders, a task I'm beginning to find easier as I gain in experience, once Alyson told me to lean into the ladder I lost my nervousness of being up high and find each year now I'm growing in confidence. The whole day was grey and sometimes wet but despite the autumnal feel the late blooms can still pack a punch and remind you of sunnier times.

"A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition"
William Arthur Ward

0 comments:

Post a Comment