Tuesday 6 October 2015

Misty Morning

After two weeks holiday a full working shift is always a challenge, and after a week of beautiful weather in Spain where summer still reigns supreme, it was something of a shock to return to a wet Norton Conyers. Still the fabulous autumn colours soon made up for the persistent rain and the day went quickly enough as we set to pruning the fruit bushes. I always feel a bit nervous at first as it is easy to forget the methods from one year to the next, but with the first bush stripped bare you remember just how ruthless you can be and soon develop a rhythm.
We steadily worked our way through the currants ignoring the weather with merry chatter and I suddenly realised how glad I was to be back. Holidays are all very well, but after a week of doing nothing but pleasing myself I get restless and bored. A nights sleep after honest toil feels all the sweeter.
Remind me that I said that when we begin to prune the gooseberries next week, the worst job in gardening history!

"Just before the death of flowers, and before they are buried in snow, there comes a festival season, when nature is all aglow"
Anon





0 comments:

Post a Comment