Monday 30 September 2013

Bonkers About Conkers

I quite like it when it's my turn to use the petrol mower, it's an automatic response as you chug along behind it which leaves your mind free to wander and contemplate as it will. This morning unfortunately I was pondering about how much my feet hurt as I attempted to wear in my new winter boots. Having learnt the hard way last time I had sensibly and slowly accustomed myself to the feel of them over the last couple of weeks, until last Monday my window for wearing the summer ones ran out when I spent the whole day with sopping wet tootsies thanks to a heavy dew. So with the best socks on that money could buy and heavily blister plastered I was plodding along in some discomfort, until that is I noticed that the conkers were ready. Mind suitably distracted I realised that there are few things that can take one straight back into the joys of childhood as instantly as the patina of a newly hatched conker. Better than the art of the most skilled of cabinet makers is the veneer of the humble horse chestnut, its shiny beauty brings nostalgia to the old and a hunger to the young, it's not bad for soothing aching feet either!

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become older"
Tom Stoppard

0 comments:

Post a Comment