Thursday 25 April 2013

The Flower Show

Our college class met at the gates of Harrogate flower show promptly at 9.00am to buy our student tickets before proceedings began half an hour later. Although this should have left plenty of time for us to discuss our plans we were unprepared for the lady in charge of the chip and pin machine who appeared to have no knowledge of any sort of technology and took 15 mins per transaction! However we got there in the end and were all grateful for the student discount which meant we got in for £8.00 whilst everyone else paid £16.00 quite a saving. Having been given a work sheet to fill in we were supposed to hang around in a group to help each other but within five minutes I'd lost the others and also the will to do much work, so I just wandered around admiring the plants. Craven college's show gardens both won gold which was a great result and well deserved as you can see.
One of Craven college's gold winning gardens
I managed to locate all the items on my shopping list bar one, new working boots and trousers were quickly purchased, a roll of flexi tie and two new plant supports a bargain at £13.50 each, my first ever Hosta called 'Catherine' (I've only just grown to like them) but no Helichrysum bracteatum seeds which are nowhere to be found this year. After that I couldn't carry anything else so It was time to catch the shuttle bus home which Transdev the local transport company had the cheek to charge £4.00 for just to get back into Harrogate town centre, fortunately for me I found a ten pound note as I boarded so I came out luckier than usual! All in all I enjoyed myself, all the plant stalls were fabulous but I would caution restraint when buying from some of the outside traders as there is an awful lot of tat for sale so choose wisely!



"Luck affects everything, let your hook always be cast, in the stream where you least expect it there will be a fish"
Ovid
What a fabulous way to display Auriculars

0 comments:

Post a Comment