Tuesday 16 September 2014

A Change Of Heart

The weather at Norton Conyers may have been dull and dank yesterday, but when you have colours like these to brighten up your day you barely miss the sunshine! I have revised my opinion of chrysanthemums as boring petrol station blooms, just look at them glowing against the colour of the bricks with a back drop of Chinese lanterns and dahlias, it brings to mind a firework display and suggests that they are the perfect autumn flower. Every year I  rediscover plants I  previously disliked only to have my opinion changed when I see them grown well. Here that means in the traditional way as part of a cutting garden, also an idea that didn't please me at first with the regimented straight lines but one that I now eagerly anticipate as the rest of the garden dies down and this area comes into it's own.
"Autumn carries more gold in its pocket than all the other seasons"
Jim Bishop
A self seeded beauty in a forgotten corner

0 comments:

Post a Comment