Saturday 6 September 2014

Respect

With the children back at school I felt as if a veil had been lifted from my eyes at Norton Conyers on Thursday. Everywhere I looked I saw nature in its intricate beauty. Finding part of a wasps nest on the Ha Ha I stopped to examine the wondrous workmanship inside. Whether or not you like the little blighters you have to admire their industry and sense of purpose. If only we humans had that certainty of our reason for existence! When you consider the patterns and shapes that nature creates you really do get a sense of a mighty hand behind it all, how else can you explain the Fibonacci sequence? This is a mathematical pattern found throughout nature which appears in petals, leaves and shells, it is fiendishly difficult to comprehend, never mind explain, so I shall leave you to found out about it for yourselves!
We are cutting the yew hedges on Monday, a day of backbreaking toil for Giles who is the only one strong enough to wield the long hedge cutter, but also fairly hard for us who have to pick up the clippings. It is a job that really marks the end of summer in my mind, as the seasons turn slowly towards winter once again.
Look at our wonderful grapes, not bad for north Yorkshire!
"He who wants a rose must respect the thorn"
Persian proverb

0 comments:

Post a Comment