Tuesday 12 February 2013

Goosegogs Again

As I feared we were back in the woods again on Monday morning after a thorough soaking on Sunday made the ground unworkable, but luckily there was no lying snow. We continued to clear away debris and for most of the morning I was in charge of the bonfire, not as much fun as usual though because I was stood in a soggy ditch, my feet were soon cold and claggy with mud whilst my face scorched. Afternoon saw a change of task as we moved onto gooseberry pruning, I'm pretty ambivalent about this fruit I must admit. Each tortured prickly bush is a challenge to get into shape and delivers vicious thorns and scratches whilst you wrestle with it. I don't even like to eat them due to memories of soggy school gooseberry pie! At least we only have to do it once a year which is just as well considering that the birds ate every berry last year much to Sir James' chagrin! So all in all not my favourite working day of the year so far, but after we finish the gooseberries next week things can only look up!

"Derive happiness in oneself from a good days work, From illuminating the fog that surrounds us"
Henri Mattisse

0 comments:

Post a Comment