Tuesday 13 November 2012

A Mucky Old Day

I think I was the dirtiest I've ever been when I finished work yesterday. It was a good thing I wasn't travelling home on the bus as I don't think they would have let me on. We had been dividing perennials in the round border when the rain started but we wished to finish the job, complete with a mulch of compost, before we ran for cover. Soon our boots were so built up with mud it felt like we were walking on stilts, and my new waterproofs were slick with mud and rain, of course that is their purpose in life so I didn't care, I was nice and dry inside. The rain didn't last into the afternoon thank goodness and as the soil in the walled garden is beautifully well drained we could continue with cutting back after lunch. If that is the worst weather we can expect this autumn we shall have had an easy time of it, but I suspect that more challenging stuff is to come.......

"To dig one's earth with one's own spade, does life get any better?" Beverly Nichols

"Speak to the earth and it shall teach thee" The Bible


0 comments:

Post a Comment