Thursday 15 November 2012

More Haste Less Speed

Things got off to a promising start this morning, our new RHS tutor introduced herself and told us about her varied horticultural career so far, but more importantly she asked each of us in turn about our own experiences and expectations for the course. Then instead of spending the the morning shuffling paperwork whilst she settled in, which was what I expected, we immediately began a lively lesson on seed preparation and sowing, including a practical session where we gathered Cotoneaster franchetii and Echinacea purpurea 'Magnus' from the garden and sowed them using the correct technique. This is definitely more like it, lets hope things continue in the same vein.  Feeling well chuffed with my pots of sown seed precariously dangling from one arm and a bag stuffed with text books and notes plus handbag in the other, I noticed the bus approaching my stop, waving energetically I ran to try and catch it, for once the driver obligingly waited for me. Once on board and having caught my breath I peeped into my bag to check on the pots, disaster! All jumbled up in a mess at the bottom with no hope of salvation, blast!

"Nature is a labyrinth in which the very haste you move with will make you lose your way"
Francis Bacon

Liquidambar living up to its autumnal promise

0 comments:

Post a Comment