Tuesday 14 August 2012

A Lesson Learned

I've always been a great believer in the old adage "Pride comes before a fall" and I was proved right yet again yesterday at Norton. Every Monday is mowing day, a task which takes up nearly half the working day when you add in the outside areas like the car park which must be kept looking tidy and cared for. It was my turn to drive the tractor again, something I'm getting more and more accustomed to and by the time tea-break arrived I was quietly patting myself on the back over my nice stripes and improved manoeuvrability. I parked up remembering to apply the hand break, lower the cutter and the front bucket and remove the ignition key in case of passing tea-leafs, all was going well. After break I hopped back on, put the beast into gear and started trundling forward again only to notice something wasn't right, I couldn't tell what it was but I wasn't going very fast and the wheels seemed to be at a funny angle. I decided to reverse to see if that would correct matters and as I did so a great gouge appeared from beneath the front end, it was then that the penny dropped, I'd forgotten to lift the bucket! Blast, that's what comes of being cocky I thought as I went cap in hand to tell Giles, thank goodness I'd only done it on one of the verges and not the front lawn or I don't think he would have been quite so forgiving. As it was his only comment was that I wasn't the first and wouldn't be the last, but it was a lesson I don't think I'll have to learn again!

"Life is a lesson in humility" J M Barrie

An example of my mowing prowess!

0 comments:

Post a Comment