Friday 10 August 2012

Home again

The view from the bar where we frequently saw dolphins and big silver fish leap and sport
one of the locals!
Well we made it home in one piece, not even the boy managed to hurt himself too badly for once and given the odds on that when snorkelling and playing all the sports the island had to offer was no mean feat! Kuredu was of course a paradise island with the most beautiful and interesting flora and fauna and the kindest of people, but I wont bother you with the details just share a few pictures over the next few posts. Thank goodness our first day home was a hot and sunny one as I had mountains of washing to attend to and the garden to put back in order. My vegetables have been a bit of a mixed bag at the first attempt but as all of it was an experiment to see which I would continue to grow next year it's been very interesting. Yesterday I harvested the last of the mange tout and disposed of the plants, they will need better support next season but have cropped well. My home made willow runner bean support has also failed to be sturdy enough and so it will be back to stout canes next year. All the swedes have run to seed due to the challenging conditions so I dug them up and confined them to the compost bin saving the only two roots big enough to eat, I will not bother to grow them again especially as they are as cheap as chips in the shops. My French beans are cropping too but the plants are very small, however they are a lovely golden yellow and anything that fits into a small space will definitely be grown again. I have harvested the shallots which have done well and the cabbages and onions are also continuing to mature nicely. The courgette and squash plants are growing huge now and will hopefully soon reward me with plenty of fruit.

 I think growing vegetables is a good metaphor for life, you start off full of big plans and hope, only to find there are challenges to be met along the way and if you finally get to harvest time you are grateful for anything you end up with!

"Let my words, like vegetables, be tender and sweet, for tomorrow I may have to eat them" Anon



My shallot harvest





0 comments:

Post a Comment