Thursday 30 August 2012

Here I Go Again!

A fantastic apple from one of the young trees we planted last autumn.
August is a really poor month for blogging I'm afraid due to the disruption of having the kids underfoot all the time, I'm barely able to keep one step ahead of the detritus they leave behind them wherever they go, but fear not the school holidays are almost behind us and I can feel my enthusiasm for all things garden related returning. I will be back at Harlow Carr on the 13th September to start another year of studying, this time on the practical course which will include an awful lot of plant identification, all in Latin of course, bring it on! I shall also continue to visit Spofforth on a weekly basis and hopefully help Diana tame her wild areas. I was beginning to wonder if I should have bothered turning up as I trudged up the road in the pouring rain yesterday morning, but Di still welcomed me with open arms willing to discuss future plans, we also took a trip to the garden centre where she restocked with compost so we could re-pot her Royal Sovereign strawberries. As in my garden her vegetable production has been poor this year but all the fruit continues to thrive and at the age of eighty she is still  intending to expand on the varieties she already grows. The plums are to be joined by a greengage and an apricot as soon as we have cleared the jungle from where they will live. As you can see there will be plenty more to tell you about over the coming months, so stick around!

"Live each season as it passes, breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each" Henry David Thoreau

Is there anything as beautiful as the bloom on a Victoria plum?

0 comments:

Post a Comment