Wednesday 4 April 2012

A Helping Hand

I wasn't going to blog today as yesterday was taken up with domestic chores, and The Teenager and I are going shopping first thing this morning, then I remembered that something quite remarkable happened on Sunday so I'll tell you about that. Dave and I returned from walking Chumdog and visiting The Kettles (my parents!) and I was eager to get started in the garden when I noticed that for the second day running The Teenager hadn't got dressed and was skulking in her bedroom again. Thoroughly expecting a curt rebuff I suggested that she might like to help me outside and to my amazement she said yes! There followed a most harmonious couple of hours as we sowed seeds and re-potted things, watered and weeded, she even had a go with the strimmer. When we came back inside I asked her what she thought to this gardening lark and she replied that it was calming and made one forget life's irritations and troubles, which is exactly why I enjoy it so much. I think my daughter is morphing back into a human being again thank goodness!

"The difference between a helping hand and an outstretched palm is a twist of the wrist"
                                                                                                    Laurence Leamer

0 comments:

Post a Comment