Tuesday 1 November 2011

Down To The Lake

It was good to get back into gardening mode on Monday, yet again we had really decent weather, in fact it was unseasonably warm for the time of year, many plants in the garden at NC are still flowering their socks off. Look at this beautiful globe artichoke much nicer to admire than to eat in my opinion! At 11 o'clock Helen Warburton the new WRAG coordinator came to pay Alison#1 a visit and as we hadn't met before either I was allowed half an hour off to show her the wood and lake. I hadn't been down there myself since July so it made a nice change, I'm also pleased to report that the wood is stuffed with fungi. I had to take this picture of the lakeside as the maple showed up as bright as a bonfire on a November night and was beautifully reflected in the water. Helen seemed to feel the magic of the place too and went home well satisfied that Giles wasn't going to eat us alive! Just before the light went later that afternoon we took some cuttings of Collutia recta, the bladder senna, simply pushing them into ground, if we get a couple of new plants out of it the time will have been well spent. The originals have been in the garden for well over 100 years and it would be a shame to lose them, so this is a little insurance policy.

"I will arise and go now. for always night and day I hear the lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore"
W B Yeats

0 comments:

Post a Comment