Tuesday 22 March 2011

Sunny march morning

Tuesday 22nd March 2011

Went to Ripley for our morning constitutional, the daffodils on the banks below the castle are almost open, they will be breathtaking when they are. Everywhere we went the promise of natures bounty was tantalisingly close. I spotted the first primroses, celandines and wood anemones- soon the hedgerows will be carpeted with them.

Gave the shed it's spring coat of preservative, it dried almost as fast as I could apply it. Repaired a hole in the roof with strong plastic and carpet tacks, it's begining to look it's age like me!

The insect life in the garden is much more noticeable now, there are more sleepy bumblebees by the day, they are quite large so I guess they are queens looking for new homes. My eye is often caught by the shiny red backs of ladybirds basking in the gentle sunshine.

The astrantia leaves are pushing through today- they didn't come to much last year due to slugs I think, however they will have to survive on their own as I have given up on pellets. The joy of having a family of hedgehogs living here far outweighs a few munched plants.

Musing of the day (an old one but a goody)

"If you would be happy for a week take a wife,
if you would be happy for a month, kill your pig
but if you would be happy all your life,
plant a garden"
Chinese proverb.

0 comments:

Post a Comment