Thursday 31 March 2011

Niger Seed Disaster

Thursday 31st March

Squally blustery showers interspersed with warm sunshine, this will get the plants growing.
First job this morning was to fill the Niger seed feeder for the goldfinches, no sooner had I done so than it had been blown down, spilling all of the contents. Damn! Anybody who feeds these birds will know, that despite claims that the seed is sterile, the rotten stuff springs up everywhere, I shall be weeding them out all summer. I hope the birds appreciate it.

Turned my attention to dead-heading, these spring flowers have to last for another two months yet, so I need to keep them looking their best. That done I then planted some basil seed and potted on some Thyme cuttings, also took cuttings of curry plant and Rosemary. The front of the house is starting to look like a small market garden.

Some of the seedlings in the garden have made their identity known, not what I was hoping for as it's Speedwell, however I've left them where they are because nothing much else grows there and I'm rather fond of it's dainty blue flowers. I don't mind a few weeds in the garden, it's all for the greater good, as long as they're not niger seedlings!

"God gave all men all earth to love, but since our hearts are small,
ordained for each one spot should prove, beloved over all"
Rudyard Kipling

0 comments:

Post a Comment