Friday 1 March 2013

Busy Assessment Day

How many horticulture students does it take to plant a tree?!!
Diana and I caught up with some pruning again on Wednesday, her orchard is lined on both sides with shrubs that required taming, unfortunately every single one of them seemed to be armed with vicious thorns. Gigantic blackberries that delighted in hooking onto any glimpse of uncovered flesh let alone hats and jumpers, and a mighty pyracantha  that had got too big for its boots, I came away with a few battle wounds but it was a gorgeous day and even warm enough to take a few layers off. Thursday was a big assessment day for us at Skipton college which meant a 5.30am start for me as I made my way to Leeds to pick up my lift from Clare, a circuitous route I know but I'm very grateful for the transport! The main task of the day was to plant trees, they turned out to be bigger than expected and the ground was horribly stony but the weather was glorious again and everyone helped each other with much merriment. Seed sowing, plant identification and perennial division were all covered as well making it a long day by the time I got home again at 6pm!

"When you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it"
Theodore Roosevelt

0 comments:

Post a Comment