Friday 20 May 2011

Dig For Victory 2011


Friday 20th May 2011

They had a singer at Southlands yesterday, she sang all the old war songs, and as The White Cliffs Of Dover wafted out of the window and into the garden, it got me thinking about things.
Firstly I imagined what the garden would have looked like during war time, the Dig for Victory campaign would have been in full swing and all of the good ground would have been given over to food production. That made me wonder why we don't have a similar campaign running at the moment. My studies tell me that the world is currently fighting a war with famine. The present population of the world currently stands at six billion people, this is set to rise to nine billion by 2050. In the years 1998 to 2007, world grain production failed to match consumption six times!
I think it is our duty to start to understand our planet, and not put so much pressure on it's resources. Growing our own is one way of contributing that is of benefit to humans and dear old Mother Earth.

Well I have gone off on one this week haven't I? They say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing- promise to be a bit less eco-warrior next week!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
Mahatma Gandhi

0 comments:

Post a Comment