Tuesday 25 September 2012

WET

I watched the weather with a baleful eye on Sunday evening, there was no doubt about it Monday wasn't going to be a pleasant working day. I hung on as long as I could before leaving to catch the bus, ever hopeful of a last minute phone call to say work was cancelled, of course it didn't come, so I donned my waterproofs and trudged off. I suppose I could have rung and cried off but I didn't want to be accused of being a soft townie. Up until lunchtime it was just about tolerable, we were cutting down shrubs and climbers from the clock tower walls, but afterwards the rain became steadily worse making our next task of lifting sodden strips of turf from the paths exceedingly unpleasant. Shandy had become increasingly miserable as the day progressed until finally Giles relented and popped her back into the van, lucky thing! We carried on until half past two at which point Alyson ans I mutinied and fled home to hot showers leaving the boys still working. I bet they went home too as soon as our backs were turned!

"Conversation about the weather is the last refuge of the unimaginative" Oscar Wilde







0 comments:

Post a Comment