Sunday 16 September 2012

Wrestling With The Wild Wood

We went straight into the wild wood yesterday morning to check some of the trees we planted last winter, if you leave it until after leave fall it is very hard to tell the difference between what is alive and what is dead! I'm not surprised they call it wild, we were hard pressed to find the trees through the sea of nettles and balsam that towered over our heads, just pushing through the undergrowth resulted in multiple stings and cascades of balsam seed pinging down our necks. When I got into the shower later I found enough seeds to grow a balsam forest of my own at home gathered in my under garments! Luckily most of the saplings we planted appear to have survived. The rest of the day was gentle in comparison, trimming the lavender bushes and small cotoneaster hedge, then planting out strawberry runners. The only downside being that Bisto seemed most unwell, I gave him a fond pat as I left as I'm not sure if we will meet again.

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" Edward Abbey

0 comments:

Post a Comment