Thursday 19 May 2011

Hand And Knees



Thursday 19th May 2011

My first working shift with Diana in Spofforth yesterday, the weather mild if somewhat overcast. The first task was to plant two dozen onion sets, it is only Diana's inability to kneel for long that stops her from doing all the tasks in her lovely garden, so I'm happy to assist.
The greenhouse is stuffed with brassica seedlings at the moment, Diana explained that they have clubroot present in the soil, which means that she doesn't plant them out until August when the virus spores become less active.
Next we tackled the weeds in the other vegetable bed, a mass of chickweed, it pulled easily but still took a long time to remove completely. we then watered everything in and I admired Diana's watering can, it comes with two sizes of rose and it's called a Hawes can- must lay my paws on one of those!
Before we knew it lunch time was upon us(actually 2pm), very nice home made mushroom soup with tomato and parmesan bread. That only left enough time for some general tidying up and I had to make my way home. I'm looking forward to next week already.

"Coming together is a beginning,
Keeping together is progress,
Working together is success"
Henry Ford

0 comments:

Post a Comment