Friday 27 May 2011

Where Have All The Bees Gone?


Friday 27th May 2011

Set off for Southlands at a brisk trot in glorious hot sunshine, by the time I arrived the sky was looking ominously black. No sooner had I planted the Brussels sprouts generously donated by Jim from across the road than the heavens opened. Val's attempt to get me involved in carpet bowls or dominoes fell on deaf ears, as I'm an outdoor sort of a girl. Instead I donned my waterproof and went out to garden in the rain, much to the amusement of the residents. I weeded out this weeks crop of nettle seedlings and dead-headed the hanging baskets. Then I picked up all the twigs and branches blown down by the shocking weather on Monday and Tuesday. By this time I was rather wet so called it a day.

The bad weather this week has done more than upset us humans, the poor old bees have been having a hard time. I've noticed many stunned and dying, just not able to cope with the wind, poor things. People have been bemoaning the lack of bees in their gardens and I will tell you why, they are all at my house visiting the campanula! I counted four different species in one glance today. So if you want more bees, plant the right flowers, avoid any double or over fussy varieties as they cannot retrieve nectar from those, and plant good old fashioned cottage garden stuff like foxgloves and sweetpeas. The bees will thank you for it and they may just pollinate your veg at the same time!

"The pedigree of honey, does not concern the bee; a clover, anytime, to him is aristocracy"
Emily Dickinson

0 comments:

Post a Comment