Monday 10 October 2011

Autumn Tidy Up Continues

My second Saturday at NC couldn't have been more different weather wise, it was quite cold early on and I was beginning to regret not putting a long sleeved top on, until we started work that is when I soon warmed up! The first task of the day was clearing the peach house border, many of the plants needed thinning or putting else where. It was a great opportunity to learn the names of a few more specimens, my favourite being Parahebe perfoliata which is a sub shrub with glaucous leaves which surround the stem and produces sprays of blue flowers in spring, an AGM it is a fine looking thing! The only downside to the morning were the midges which drove us mad biting us through our hair, so when the rain came it was almost a relief. We continued with the autumn clear up after lunch in the spring border, steadily removing the weeds and the rotting apples which had fallen from the tree above, the sweet sickly stench is something I don't think I will ever forget. When four o' clock came I was damp, muddy and tired but surprisingly still in love with gardening!

"From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity"
Edvard Munch

0 comments:

Post a Comment