Wednesday 19 October 2011

Enchanting earthstars

A really cold wind blew us into Tuesday, a marked change with temperatures from the north, we sat and watched the sleety rain from the moderate comfort of the classroom in the Bramall centre. More photosynthesis and respiration study followed, culminating in a group exercise where we had to produce a diagram showing all we had learned in our first half term. Thank goodness we had Hannah on our team with her brilliant drawing skills, I think we managed to come up with something really good, see right. Lunchtime saw Trisha, Hannah and myself off on our usual fungi forage, Harlow Carr seems to have many varied habitats and consequently many different types of toadstool. The days prize finds were these trooping funnel caps, I've left Trish and my fingers in the shot so you can gauge the size, and a first for me a group of beautiful collared earthstars, uncommon enough for me to be excited by the sight of them!

"The days are cold, the nights are long, the north wind sings a doleful song"
Dorothy Wordsworth


0 comments:

Post a Comment