Monday 17 October 2011

The Beast

Saturday got off to a flying start with a magnificent sunrise which had the promise of a beautiful day, I tried to capture it from the top deck of the bus and am quite pleased with the results. It was a bit nippy early on with the first touch of frost this season, but nature didn't let us down and the day became steadily warmer making me peel different layers off around the garden as the morning continued. We started in the greenhouse by picking the remaining tomatoes and removing the spent vines, this created enough space to bring in all the hardy perennials from the plant sales area to overwinter. Then I had my first master-class in grass cutting, no big deal you might think but the petrol mower is a bit of a beast and quite far removed from my little hand push at home. At first it was a bit scary, running away with me at the slightest touch, but after a few practice rows I did manage to carry on and cut all the edges in the garden whilst Nikki zoomed around the large areas on the tractor. My feelings of elation were somewhat dampened on Sunday morning however when all the exertion resulted in a pair of very stiff arms due to the weight of the beast, but I shall have to get used to it as I'll probably be doing it every week next summer!

"I saw old autumn in the misty morn stand shadowless like silence listening to silence"
Thomas Hood

0 comments:

Post a Comment