Friday 21 October 2011

If You Go Down To The Woods Today

I was up early and out walking Chum yesterday morning, I enjoy it when it's just the two of us down by the river, me rummaging around in the undergrowth looking for mushrooms and Chum enjoying all the new smells and having a dip even on a cool morning like that. Our peace didn't last long however as a red gold streak nearly knocked me flying and proceeded to roll Chum over and over in the mud. You've guessed , it was Mad Paddy Padster who had picked up our scent half a mile away and abandoning his mistress had gone in search of his best friend. I waited for Fran to catch up and as it was such a beautiful day we took a longer walk than normal. I'm glad we did as I spotted this beauty, it's one of the Russulas aptly called The Sickener, if the name doesn't put you off eating one the colour certainly should, red means danger! The other specimen is a member of the Amanita family called The Blusher, the first one I've seen so I'm pleased even if it is a bit nibbled.

"Nature red in tooth and claw"
Alfred Lord Tennyson

0 comments:

Post a Comment