Tuesday 10 January 2012

Enchanted Garden

The weather at NC on Monday was astonishingly clement again, so much so that I'm beginning to wonder if the garden is enchanted. Since I started work there back in October we've only had one really unpleasant day and yesterday was certainly not it. There was something about the quality of the light that made me wish I was an artist, I just hope I've been able to capture something of the feeling on my little camera. Even five hours of shovelling and mulching compost was not enough to dampen our spirits and I think you'll agree it makes the borders look very smart. The last couple of hours were spent digging up and re-spacing a box hedge as Giles has extended the herb bed and we had to eek out the plants to cover the extra space, it looks a bit gappy at the moment but I'm sure when they start growing again the spaces will soon fill in. I learn the weather is turning cold again by the end of this week so we've done very well to have finished with the cutting back, we all wait with baited breath to see if work can continue a pace despite the newness of the year.
"The only words that ever satisfied me as describing nature are the terms used in fairy books, charm, spell,enchantment. They express the arbitrariness  of the fact and its mystery" G K Chesterton.


0 comments:

Post a Comment