Thursday 26 January 2012

A Sense Of Usefulness

The ground was wonderfully soft and friable yesterday, so it was the ideal time to turn the compost heap and mulch the raised vegetable beds with this best of soil conditioners. I was more than happy to shoulder the lions share of shovelling and felt a sense of achievement when the job was completed, Diana was thrilled as she admitted it would have taken her about four days to do it alone, still not bad for eighty! Next I dug over a bed that had become over-run with mint, at least it had shallow roots and was easy to pull up, but I bet I've missed some and the damn stuff will be back in the spring if we don't apply some glyphosate. Finally Diana was struggling to remove some very deep caper spurge roots so I flexed my muscles again and managed to dig them out, I felt that I'd been of some real use to her for once. The vegetable beds are now ready for planting up in the spring, I wish my own garden was in such good order, I haven't even started to cut it back yet and there are loads of plants to be divided and moved, just my luck that on my spare day off the weather is abysmal again, I guess I'll get caught up eventually!

"The purpose of life is not to be happy, but to matter, to be productive. to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all" Leo Rosten.( and thereby you gain happiness I think!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment