Tuesday 24 January 2012

Tree Knowledge

In a change from the usual routine of getting stuck straight in on Monday morning, Giles, Alison, Nikki and I went for a walk in the woods. Giles has been called away for a few days on family business so he wanted to show us where to plant the remaining hornbeam saplings, and give us a list as long as his arm of other jobs to do whilst he is away! At this point it is interesting to note that all the new trees and shrubs I've mentioned lately are bought with money made from selling logs produced from dead and felled trees on the estate, so it's rather fitting that many of the saplings are planted back into the woods ensuring that there will be magnificent trees for future generations. It was another beautiful morning, almost spring like again with the snowdrops now smothering the woodland floor. As we wandered the conversation turned into a game of ' name that tree', a talent that I'm spectacularly lacking in, I find it difficult enough to do it when they are in leaf let alone in January, I think I will have to do some swatting up if I hope to impress him upon his return. There is no need to embellish upon the days activities any further, just imagine us girls with a wheelbarrow overflowing with trees, spades, stakes and deer guards and you'll get the picture, I'm beginning to be a dab hand at this tree planting lark! the one in today's lower picture is a walnut by the way.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance" Confusius.

0 comments:

Post a Comment