Monday 2 January 2012

An Upward Turn

With the passing of the old year I can feel an improvement in my mood, we are no longer on the slippery slope into winter darkness but are slowly inching toward light and spring. Just as I am one of the first to put up the Christmas decorations I am also the first to take them down which I did yesterday, it is always a cathartic feeling to strip the front room bare of all unnecessary clutter and get back to the business of growth and self improvement which comes with January. The two Christmas trees must now take their chances outside, they have come through their ordeal well and I must now hope they manage to acclimatise quickly before any really cold weather arrives. Elsewhere in the garden small signs of hope are beginning to emerge with every new bulb tip and the new seasons seed catalogues have started to plop onto the doormat with their promise of easily achievable horticultural glory, January is definitely the time for planning and dreaming.
"Oh wind, if winter comes can spring be far behind?" Percy Bysshe Shelley

0 comments:

Post a Comment