Sunday 18 December 2011

Feathered Friends

A hard frost on Sunday morning meant that the birds were more in evidence in my garden, the blackbird sits on the fence and waits for his breakfast whereas the robin and the wren venture a little closer to the back door, that probably means food is getting scarce. I put out as much food as I can but it is getting so expensive and the garden starlings get the lions share, I make up my own mixture of dried meal worms, suet, grain and peanut bits and hang plenty of fat balls from the lilac,luckily the starlings are messy eaters and enough falls to the floor for the ground feeders, the tits seem to manage even though the stinkers have learnt to feed from the hanger as well. Expensive it may be but watching them brings me a lot of pleasure and I'm hoping they will repay the favour come summer and protect my veggies from the voracious caterpillars!
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"
Chinese proverb

0 comments:

Post a Comment