Sunday 4 December 2011

The North Wind Doth Blow

Saturday was the worst morning yet as I made my way to NC, fond memories of lounging by the stove the previous evening lingered in my mind as I pulled on my waterproofs and left the house at 7.15am. Despite all the layers I was wearing, by the time I got to Ripon I was stone cold, and standing in the north wind waiting for my lift didn't raise my temperature any. But as ever hard work digging the main border soon warmed us up, even through the icy showers that frequently fell. To cheer myself up I teamed up with one of the garden robins, it comes as no surprise that they are Britain's favourite bird being cheery to look at, bold and intelligent. This one soon understood that I was throwing grubs in his direction and by the end of the afternoon he was brave enough to sit at my feet waiting for the next treat. I wonder if I can train him to eat out of my hand?
Today's pic- a cold but sunny winters day at NC.
"The north wind doth blow and we shall have snow, and what will the robin do then poor thing? He'll sit in a barn and keep himself warm and hide his head under his wing, poor thing"
16th century nursery rhyme.

1 comments:

Cute as they may be they can be quite vicious and territorial!
 

Post a Comment