Sunday 5 February 2012

Creature Comforts

It was with a certain amount of trepidation that I made my way to NC on Saturday morning, it was well documented that heavy snow was expected in the afternoon so I'd made arrangements for Dave to pick me up at 1pm, hopefully before the white stuff really got going. It was another challenging day for being a gardener, bitterly cold with no hope of putting spade to soil so we retreated into the woods to attend to some forestry work. The boys had been hard at work the previous week felling dead trees and overhanging branches so there was plenty of tidying up to do, Giles instructed us to gather up all the brush and make tidy piles for the small creatures of the forest to use for hibernating or nesting. Then we lit a small fire to keep the chill off, I love fires there's something so primordial about them but I think I got a bit close as my eyebrows felt distinctly crispy later on! The morning wound on as we happily worked with no sign of the predicted snow, I was beginning to feel a little bit foolish as 1pm approached and the others were starting to pull my leg, I think they thought I just fancied an afternoon off, but at last, five minutes before Dave was due it finally started to snow, so feeling somewhat vindicated I left them to it and retreated home to some creature comforts of my own. I'm sure the others wouldn't have lingered long either once the big snowflakes started falling, it just remains to be seen whether it is worth going in on Monday, if the snow is still lying there will be little to be done.
"May you always have walls for the wind, a roof for the rain, tea beside the fire, laughter to cheer you, those you love near you and all your heart might desire" Irish Blessing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment