Wednesday 22 February 2012

Shrubbery Studies

Back to Harlow after half term we were a somewhat depleted class, only seven of us and our tutor Richard, so we pushed the tables together and immersed ourselves in protected cultivation, that's greenhouses to you and I! I hadn't realised how complicated glass house growing could be, getting it right is rather hit and miss, whereas getting it wrong seems to be remarkably easy. I'm beginning to reconsider my wish to own one as they are pricey and very high maint! The afternoon lesson was straight forward, all about shrubs-the definition of which is a multi-stemmed woody perennial which can be deciduous or evergreen, so you can imagine the scope is enormous. To help us identify types and pruning methods we took a stroll around the gardens, but to be honest I find shrubs a bit dull so was much more taken with the irises brightening up the February beds. There just happens to be a small exhibition of botanical art in the foyer of the learning centre where I spotted a fine picture of the very flowers I'd been admiring moments before, so I thought I'd let you compare them too.
"The February sunshine steeps your boughs and tints the buds and swells the leaves within" William C Bryant.




0 comments:

Post a Comment