Friday 25 May 2012

A Grand Day Out

Phew, what a whistle stop tour of London it was on Wednesday, arriving at Kings Cross we took a cab to the flower show which conveniently took us passed Trafalgar Square, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, I was excited to see the sights again after such a long time. I was less excited to see the beggars, horrendous traffic and hardly anyone speaking English, compared to the city Chelsea show was an oasis of calm. I think I must be getting too old and too provincial for the capitol! The show itself was fabulous, everyone attending was so friendly, secure in the knowledge that they were talking to a fellow enthusiast. Even the celebrity gardeners were approachable, Alys Fowler signed my programme and on a couple of occasions I stood right next to Andy Sturgeon as he was filming, it's nice to see the people you've been watching for years on the telly in the flesh. Out of all the gardens the Artisan ones were my favourites and in particular the Shepherds Hut which only managed a silver gilt, a travesty when they awarded gold to the Bronte garden! Then of course there was Diarmuid Gavins latest attempt at controversy, he certainly pulled off a coup this year as it was a showcase of the scaffolders talent with barely anything to do with gardening, and if you ask me a complete waste of space! The taxi back to the railway station was exhausting, as the time before our train ticked away whilst we sat in gridlocked traffic, eventually we abandoned the cab and took the tube, leaving us just enough time for a champagne cocktail before boarding, that's what I call a full on day, roll on next year!

"By seeing London, I have seen as much of life as the world can show" Samuel Johnson

My favourite
I rest my case
Eye catching but fun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment