Friday 4 May 2012

Ne'er Cast A Clout

At least the Lunaria annua in my garden is looking cheerful.
Gosh isn't it cold! There's absolutely no chance of me casting or clouting until the sun makes an appearance again, in fact I'm finding this years weather either deeply confusing (The hot spell in March), or deeply depressing (The three weeks of yuk we're currently experiencing). My vegetable seeds are slow to germinate even indoors which is probably just as well as I wouldn't dream of putting them outside yet, the hedge needs its first cut but I can't motivate myself to do it, and the tomato plant I bought weeks ago is now so leggy it probably wont survive. I did take a spin around the garden yesterday to keep an eye on things only to find the dreaded lily beetles having an orgy in the pot in the bottom border, so the lilys will have to go as I refuse to spend money on chemicals to try and save one pot. All in all not a very inspiring couple of days, here's hoping the long term weather forecast will cheer us up on Sunday. By the way, for all my readers that come from more exotic climes, the saying Ne'er cast a clout til May be out just means don't take your vest off just yet!

"The sun was warm but the wind was chill
  you know how it is with an April day.
  When the sun is out and the wind is still,
  you're one month on in the month of May.
  But if you so much as dare to speak,
  a cloud come over a sunlit arch,
  and wind comes off a frozen peak,
  and you're two months back in the middle of March"
  Robert Frost

0 comments:

Post a Comment