Sunday 13 May 2012

On Hands And Knees


A spring day at last!
Thank goodness we had a proper spring day yesterday, the breeze may have been chill but the sun was warm on our backs as we worked in the veg plot. I helped Alyson build the main framework of the bean wigwams but after that my skills deserted me so I left her to finish off whilst I weeded the artichokes. Then we sowed a nursery bed of kale, red and white cabbage and broccoli in the cold frame where they will be safe from slugs and rabbits until large enough to plant out. A quick weed around the onion sets and then the rest of the day was spent on our hands and knees again, removing as much goose grass as we could from around the peonies, laborious stuff and we're not even half way yet!
A couple of things caught my attention at home later, my horse chestnut saplings have come down with a nasty case of scale insect, easy to cure by wiping them off but I think I'll take one of them to college to show the others first, and out of my latest batch of sunflower seedlings one of them has three cotyledons! It will be interesting to see if it goes on to have triple leaf growth instead of the normal two, I'll let you know.

"Youth is not a time of life, it is a state of mind. It is not a matter of rosy cheeks, red lips and supple knees, it is a matter of the will, quality of the imagination, a vigour of the emotions, it is the freshness of the deep springs of life" Samuel Ullman

Spot the odd one out
Scale insects

1 comments:

O my, those scale insects look beautiful but probably don't act beautiful...
Thanks for sending me this blog. I will learn a lot! I am so glad you decided that you needed more then your normal job!
 

Post a Comment