Thursday 3 May 2012

Knowing Your Onions

I was back at Spofforth at last on Wednesday after a break of over a month, I'm pleased to report that my friend Diana is feeling much better after a nasty dose of spring flu. The garden and orchard have changed considerably in that time and with the apple trees in full blossom our spirits were high as we began work. Getting the onion sets planted was our most important task, they really shouldn't have been left so late but I'm hopeful they will soon catch up. It reminded me that I've now been visiting Brian and Diana for a whole year and that this was the first task I ever helped them with, how time has flown, I just hope I've now got a bit more knowledge under my belt and that with almost an entire years study with the RHS I do indeed know my onions!

"The onion and its satin wrappings is amongst the most beautiful of vegetables and is the only one that represents the essence of things. It can be said to have a soul" Charles Dudley Warner
Apple cordons in full blossom at Spofforth.

0 comments:

Post a Comment