Wednesday 27 July 2011

Black-fly Genocide



Wednesday 27th July 2011

The teenager was tardy getting up on Tuesday, completely ignoring the fact that some of the household had been up since 6.30 tending to the more dependant members of the family. She loftily declared that 10 o'clock was far too early to to rise and that she might consider it after lunch had been provided! This left me with a window of unplanned spare time so naturally I gravitated into the garden. The nasturtiums caught my eye and although they had been glorious they were now being ravished by black-fly, there was nothing else for it but to pull them up. Luckily I still had space in the green recycling bin so was more than happy to let the council deal with the beasties. It is interesting to note that the variegated types have suffered much worse than the traditional nasties, so I'm going to stick to the latter next year. Other pest bothered crops are my chillies and peppers, the chillies are just about holding their own against the green-fly, probably because they taste hot, but I've given up with the sweet peppers and put them outside to fend for themselves. I suppose I've over fussed them as usual , I'm also fed up with squashing green-fly so maybe the outside crawlies will do a better job than me, but I sense they're not long for this world, there's more to this veg growing malarkey than meets the eye!
The lavatera continue to delight, every stage of the flower has its merits but for me the bud is the best, like an old fashioned cone of sweeties twisted closed by the shopkeeper.

"No two gardens are the same. No two days are the same in one garden"
Hugh Johnson

0 comments:

Post a Comment