Tuesday 5 July 2011

Next Years Flowers!


Tuesday 5th July 2011

Phew! Another hot one yesterday, however there is no Tate house for a couple of weeks so I was able to spend a little time in my own garden. Firstly I earthed up the sweetcorn, which is looking remarkably good considering it's growing in pots, I think it will double in size before the cobs form(hopefully!) Then my mind turned to next year, seriously!, I sowed wallflowers, sweet williams and foxgloves, they are all biennial and will not flower until 2012. The foxgloves I sowed last year have been spectacular, the only problem being, I gave away more than I should and I've got gaps in my border, I will not make the same mistake again just sow even more!
My other revelation has been the night scented stock, it's not much to look at during the day, a bit weedy and shrivelled, but by night time the flowers have plumped up and they smell divine, again I will double the quantities for next summer.

I took this picture of a meadow salsify clock because it is such a feat of natural engineering and so often overlooked.

"Nothing is more memorable than a smell. One scent can be unexpected, momentary and fleeting, yet conjure up a childhood summer beside a lake in the mountains"
Diane Ackerman

0 comments:

Post a Comment