Tuesday 19 July 2011

Monsoon Britain



Tuesday 19th July 2011

It would appear that Britain has developed its very own rainy season, Monday turning into another dire day for gardening at Tate House. I have a theory that if the run up to the summer holidays has crap weather, there is a distinct possibility that the kids may get some sunshine whilst they are off school. The reverse also being true, as in last years hot run up to the holidays and then grim drizzle for the rest of August. Of course this will not suit me very much because you can guarantee as soon as we jet off to Portugal Yorkshire will be struck by a heat wave which will kill all my veg! Anyway, there was just Lynne, Jack and myself braving the elements yesterday, we didn't actually do any gardening because everywhere was just too soggy, but we did plan a few more additions to the courtyard garden and the construction of a bug hotel for the nature area. Finally we harvested lettuce, strawberries,broccoli, celery and early onions making up quite a decent July veg box.

"Shall I not have intelligence with the earth? Am I not partly leaves and vegetable mould myself"
Henry David Thoreau

0 comments:

Post a Comment