Tuesday 7 June 2011

Beetling Away



Tuesday 7th June 2011

It was just us girls keeping the ship afloat yesterday at Tate House. I brought the pumpkins, cucumbers and squashes from home and settled them in next to the potatoes, they should romp away and cover quite a large area of the bed, giving the gunnera a run for it's money. Madhu and Lynne got on with feeding the baby veg plants whilst I renovated the raised planters. It was very therapeutic pulling up all the tatty shrubs and dubious plantings,(thistles!) of a previous gardener. As I worked I unearthed a lily beetle, so I showed the others before I squashed him, they eat the roots and kill the plants, so no mercy I'm afraid.
We made a bamboo wigwam and planted sweetpeas in one of the beds and calendula in the other two, there is still plenty more room for cheerful summer bedding though. Hopefully we will go on a plant buying mission next week, to fill in any gaps and tackle stocking the sensory courtyard. I can't wait, buying new plants is always the best bit!

"the sense of death is most in apprehension, and the poor beetle, that we tread upon, in corporal sufferance finds a pang as great as when a giant dies"
William Shakespeare; Measure For Measure

0 comments:

Post a Comment