Monday 6 June 2011

Up The Apples And Pears


Monday 6th June 2011

On Saturday Diana invited me to attend a meeting of the Northern Fruit Group, a dedicated and knowledgeable set of people striving to keep fruit growing alive and well for future generations. They hold their gatherings in the new learning centre at Harlow Carr, a building which is run solely on eco-principles. For me it was like stepping into the pages of my course text book, brilliantly showcasing the use of waste wood for architectural support, amongst many other innovations.
Anyway I digress, it was most interesting to observe the group at work, diligently organising their many workshop and show commitments. I really hope I can be of some help to them in the future. We had a quick break for lunch and then were treated to a talk by Andrew Gilchrist about starting his orchard in Cumbria, a location not without it's challenges! I now know what scab and canker look like and which root-stocks to avoid. It is good to know that people like Andrew and Hilary are there to offer advice to us novice kitchen gardeners, long may the NFG continue!

"In an orchard there should be enough to eat, enough to lay up, enough to be stolen, and enough to rot on the ground"
James Boswell 1740-95

0 comments:

Post a Comment