Wednesday 22 June 2011

Summer Solstice


Wednesday 22nd June 2011

Yesterday was the longest day, that means from now on we will be drawn inexorably into the darkness and decay of winter. All the more reason to live the day! It was thus in pensive mood that Chum and I set off on our walk , it wasn't a conventionally perfect summers day but nevertheless I found much of merit to lift my mood. The weather was warm, almost muggy after the heavy rain of the night before, so the gentle breeze that played around was pleasant and cooling. I didn't even mind the misting of rain every now and again, because the best thing about yesterday was the smell. The deep earthy green smell you only get when the ground has really quenched it's thirst. There is more rain to come this week I believe, so us gardeners had better brace ourselves for an onslaught of growth.

"There came a day at summers full, entirely for me, I thought that such were for the saints, where resurrections be"
Emily Dickinson

0 comments:

Post a Comment