Wednesday 29 June 2011

Epiphany




Wednesday 29th June 2011


Recently I've felt like I've just emerged into the world, with a deep rooted desire to find out more about the minutia of the plants and animals we share our earth with. Taking the OU course has really opened my eyes to what a fabulous planet we live on. For example, have you ever cut your finger on a blade of grass? Did you know that the plant has deposited minute silica crystals on the edges of it's leaves, to stop herbivores from eating them, and that in highly grazed areas the silica content is higher than in lowly grazed areas. If that isn't an indication of the miracle of nature, then I don't know what is. It's just a shame that I cannot capture on camera the wonders that I regularly see, I'm no photographer and my little kodak cannot get all the details.. Seen but not recorded this week are, a newly hatched red admiral drying it's wings in the sun, and a most striking beetle with a red head, brown thorax and yellow abdomen, which I've been unable to identify, most frustrating! however I did take a good shot of these fungi, cortinarius crocolitus, I do love toadstools!


"I thank you God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes

E.E. Cummings

0 comments:

Post a Comment