Tuesday 13 March 2012

Grass Masterclass

I never expected to be working in my shirt sleeves this early in the year, what a fabulous day it was yesterday and how privileged I am to be able to work outside and enjoy it. The day was devoted to grass more or less, we started by preparing the area behind the yew hedge which had been laid down to fruit bushes previously, Giles levelled out the ground with the tractor whilst we removed any stones and raked it to a smooth plane, then I wandered up and down scattering grass seed in all directions feeling very like a medieval peasant sowing his crops! Another raking to hide the seed from the hungry birds and we were done, not at all how the RHS says we should do it but that's what I like about NC, time is pressing so we just get on with things. After lunch it was time for the first cut of the season and non too soon looking at the length of the lawns, Giles let me loose on the tractor again to get a feel for the mower dragging behind and as you can see I managed OK, at least I didn't knock any trees over but don't look too closely as my lines aren't very straight!

"Each blade of grass has its spot on the earth whence it draws its life, its strength, and so is man rooted to the land from which he draws his faith together with his life" Joseph Conrad

0 comments:

Post a Comment