Friday 23 March 2012

Otter Spotter

An unremarkable mornings walk with Chum turned into an exciting encounter with an otter down the Nidd gorge yesterday. I'm thrilled as I've never seen one in the wild and it was so close I could almost have touched it. The sound of the water made me pause and look, it wasn't the normal duck paddling noise but a sinuous sliding sound of an animal beautifully equipped to move in that medium, I didn't dare try and take a picture I just drank in the moment as it twisted and turned playing in the morning sunshine, it was seemingly unconcerned about my presence and then quick as a flash it was gone leaving me full of wonder. Speaking to some other dog walkers later on a mother and two pups have been seen there lately, I'm so pleased our local river is clean and healthy enough to support them again, what a way to end the week!

"Sit by a river. Find peace and meaning in the rhythm of the lifeblood of the earth" Anon

0 comments:

Post a Comment