Tuesday 5 April 2011

April Showers And A Visit From Joe

Tuesday 5th April 2011

This morning it is warm, dull and damp, because I'm busy doing other things today,I thought I'd tell you about what I was doing yesterday afternoon.

I'm about to start helping to plant the raised beds at Southlands residential home, and luckily for me yesterday they had Mr Joe Maiden as their speaker. Joe has been a horticulturist all his working life and has also broadcast on radio Leeds for 43 years. He began his talk by telling us that it has never felt like work, lucky chap, oh and he also likes licorice allsorts a lot! His next topic was about an organic range of fertilizers and treatments. The fertilizer in particular interested me very much, It is made from sheep dags, which are a bi-product of the wool industry, it is totally odourless, has been listed in which magazine and certified by the soil association, it has also been proven to reduce slug and snail attacks. Apparently the wool fibres present in the pellets contain tiny little hooks, so when the molluscs pass over them, they puncture the bodies of the creatures causing them to lose moisture and ultimately perish. Sounds worth a go to me, I'm told they are available to buy from Harlow Carr garden centre.

Joe also brought a fine collection of spring plants with him and talked us through their different properties, leaving a good selection of them behind him when he went, for us to plant in our raised beds. A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon for all involved.

"Walking through puddles is my favourite metaphor for life"
Jessi Lane Adams

0 comments:

Post a Comment